I’ve created a lightened up, dairy-free Chicken Tikka Masala with Cauliflower and Peas in the Instant Pot to satisfy my craving for Indian food! This mild curry is made with boneless chicken thighs cooked in a tomato base, with lots of spices and coconut milk. You can serve this with garlic naan or basmati rice on the side (cauliflower rice would work too to keep it low carb!)
This is a great beginner dish if you’re new to Indian food, which is said to originate in the UK, very similar to butter chicken. Vegetables are not typically added but I love the addition of cauliflower and peas. My husband and oldest daughter Karina love it with both rice and garlic naan which I buy frozen at Trader Joe’s.
If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can simply make this on the stove and double the cook time. You could easily make this whole30 or paleo by eliminating the peas and serving this with cauliflower rice.
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala with Cauliflower and Peas
I’ve created a lightened up, dairy-free Chicken Tikka Masala with Cauliflower and Peas in the Instant Pot to satisfy my craving for Indian food!
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ghee, butter or coconut oil for df
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
- Season chicken with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Press saute button and melt the butter, add onion, garlic, ginger and 6 spices (from coriander to cardamom) and saute until the vegetables are soft and the spices are fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and use an immersion to blend until smooth (or blend in the blender), add the chicken, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir, cook high pressure 15 minutes.
- Quick release, add the cauliflower and peas and cook 2 minutes on high pressure.
- Quick release, stir in coconut milk and serve garnished with cilantro.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 6
- Points +: 6
- Calories: 226
- Total Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Sodium: 405mg
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 25g
~ Albert Einstein