This pasta dish just screams summer! A quick dish made with homemade Cavatelli pasta, (can be purchased fresh or frozen in any Italian specialty store) cherry tomatoes, zucchini, corn and marinara. Perfect to whip up on busy weeknights as this dish comes together in less than 20 minutes.
I went to my new favorite Long Island restaurant a few weeks ago, Copperhill and they served a similar pasta dish which is where they inspiration came from. My husband really enjoyed it, it’s loaded with summer veggies and trust me, you won’t miss the meat!
Summer Cavatelli with Corn, Tomatoes and Zucchini
I love this quick, summer pasta dish made with homemade Cavatelli pasta, (can be purchased fresh or frozen in any Italian specialty store) cherry tomatoes, zucchini, corn and marinara. Perfect to whip up on busy weeknights as this dish comes together in less than 20 minutes.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cavatelli
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 ears corn (kernels cut from the cob)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups (6 1/2 oz) ounces diced zucchini, 1/4-inch
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup homemade marinara sauce
- 6 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 teaspoons of the olive oil and garlic, and cook until golden and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook 3 minutes, until the tomatoes soften.
- Add the corn and zucchini and cook until tender crisp, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the marinara, season with salt and pepper and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, cook the cavatelli according to package directions,reserving some of the water before draining, then toss with the marinara and vegetables.
- Add the grated cheese, remaining teaspoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste and cook 1 minute, adding some of the reserved pasta water as needed.
- Serve right away with fresh basil and additional grated cheese if desired.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: Scant 1 1/3 cups
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 8
- Points +: 7
- Calories: 297.5
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 7.5mg
- Sodium: 184mg
- Carbohydrates: 59.5g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 10.5g
~ Napoleon Bonaparte